There was a Rugby club in existence in the town in the second half of the 19th century but records go back officially to 1923 when the cricket club in Carrick-beg dissolved and the rugby club was founded. Among the founder members were William (Bud) Galvin, Jack Walsh, Martin Walsh and Tommy Lynch among others.
The club ceased to function in 1941/42 owing to the war and shortage of petrol but reformed again in 1957 as a result of meeting between Dr. Paul O’Brien, Bud Galvin, Michael Cleary, Tom Cleary, R.L. Burke and Dick Cleary.
The reformed club played its first match on Sunday October 6th 1957 when it met a Thurles selection at the Pill Road pitch. Although the scoreboard showed a decisive victory for the more experienced Thurles fifteen, the general run of play indicated bright possibilities for the home team in the future. About five hundred spectators enjoyed the game, which was played under ideal weather conditions. Included in the attendance were many veterans of the old Carrick rugby club such as Bud Galvin, John Walsh, R.L. Burke all of whom were committee members of the new club. Its President Dr. Paul O’Brien, an all-round athlete of distinction, had been a Munster inter-provincial representative in the early thirties.
The team that lined out that day was; S. Healy, J. Fleming. Eddie Curran, Pat Murphy, Pa Faulkner, Gerard Cleary, J. Cooney. J. Kelly, Al Power, Tom Morrissey, John Connolly, Noel Healy, Milo Murphy, Stephen Gibbons and Eddie Stokes. Mr. P.J. Fennell refereed the match. Carrick had a second fixture lined up a fortnight later on October 20th against Cashel.
During the following years the club played at many venues in and around the town including the Castle Field, near Coolnamuck Road, Pill Road opposite Tinvane, Cregg Road, Mountrichard, Deer Park and eventually Tybroughney.